Winter Leagues Starting in January 2017
Bundle up for some outdoor ultimate or join us on Friday nights in Brooklyn. We have two great leagues that are now open for registration
Friday Rec League – Brooklyn
Perfect for corporate teams, beginners, and casual players. We play 4v4 mini ultimate at Williamsburg and follow up play some some socializing to start the weekend off the right way. Games are played at The Pitch located at 196 N 14th Street in Brooklyn.
Saturday Competitive Draft League – Manhattan
Check out this competitive 6v6 league at Riverside Park. We play on the turf field at Riverside Park and 104th Street on Manhattans Upper West Side.
Rules of Play for mini leagues–
1. The Field: A rectangular shape with scoring zones at each end.
2. Initiate Play: Teams flip discs to determine who will start with the disc and which goal the want to defend. As this is indoor, we do not flip fields after a score. You attack the same goal the entire game.
3. Scoring: Each time the offense completes a pass in the defense’s scoring zone, the offense scores a point. Upon scoring, the disc is dropped in the scoring zone and play is initiated with the scored on team now on offense.
4. Movement of the Disc: The disc may be advanced in any direction by completing a pass to a teammate. Players may not run with the disc. The person with the disc (“thrower”) has SIX seconds to throw the disc. The defender guarding the thrower (“marker”) counts out the stall count.
5. Change of Possession: When a pass in not completed (e.g. out of bounds, drop, block, interception), the defense immediately takes possession of the disc and becomes the offense. Please note that the disc can hit the walls along the sidelines or the net above the field. If the disc makes contact with the back wall or net, the disc is considered out of bounds.
6. Substitutions: Substitutions are made “on the fly”. You must high five the person you are subbing for. Also, each team has one 30 second timeout they can use to adjust the players.
7. Low-contact: Given the size of the field, contact is unavoidable. You may not make contact with the thrower and minimal contact is allowed in the scoring zone. Picks and screens are illegal but a pick call should not be called in the open field, only if you are picked within arms length of the scoring zone and the play results in a score.
8. Fouls: When a player initiates contact on another player a foul occurs. When a foul disrupts possession, the play resumes as if the possession was retained. If the player committing the foul disagrees with the foul call, the play is redone.
9. Self-Officiating: Players are responsible for their own foul and line calls. Players resolve their own disputes.
10.Spirit of the Game: Ultimate stresses sportsmanship and fair play. Competitive play is encouraged, but never at the expense of respect between players, adherence to the rules, and the basic joy of play.